Quote:

thanks marq... its actually pretty smooth to touch. has minor scuffs from shipping... ill prolly sand it down anyway just in case... what grit would you suggest?

If it has a 'gel coat' on the fiberglass, I would not use anything grittier than say an 800 grit. Gelcoat tends to be soft enough to show scratches from lower grit ranges. The thing about gelcoat is that it tends to powder up the sanding paper pretty quickly. So just be very light on the pressure you are using so the sanded off gelcoat can escape from under the paper as you are sanding.

One thing that I had very good luck with when doing the fiberglass hood on my car was the Norton 3X brand of sand paper in the 1200 grit range. It did a smoother surface preparation job and it tended to not clog up the sandpaper.

When doing sanding on gelcoat I would tend to suggest 'doing it by hand' instead of going to a power sander. If you do it by hand you will be able to sand off a finer layer then the hand sander which may oversand the thin gelcoat they usually put on car parts.