Here are a few pictures of progress

(the spoiler is just sanded, it's not primered)

Sanded the trunk down to bare metal with an orbital sander at 220 grit and then primered with Duplicolor "Dark Gray" Primer, even though it's about as white as a ghost. I put two coats on and then wetsanded with 400 grit. Smooth! I plan on sanding/primering a piece at a time, the hood is coming next (a little bondoing for the hood will get me some good practice for the big bondo job on the door) and then paint it all at once.

The only problems I forsee is the cost of paint -- I don't really want to go with a Rustoleum/Tremclad or Duplicolor paint unless I have to. I've fallen in love with two paints, the first being that blue metallic (which I have access to spray guns and compressor if I go that route) and Honda's very own New Formula Red (which is pricey but beautiful)

Example of New Forumla Red:

Blue Metallic
The Good: Awesome color, real automotive paint, I can get 3 quarts for $60 shipped
The Bad: I'll have to sand ever single last bit of red paint off of my car (jambs, inner trunk, under hood, engine bay) or it will look way off

New Formula Red
The Good: Awesome color, real automotive paint, won't have to sand down jambs and under hood as they are largely unfaded and still in good condition, and the color will match better than a blue will
The Bad: EXPENSIVE (PPG quoted me at least $300 for a gallon)

I'm trying to imagine what a blue metallic with red door jambs will look -- this is my cheapest route