Quote:

OK 6th coat and more bad news. I pulled one of those "if it aint broke, dont fix it" type deals here. I went ahead and prepped the hood and did NOT let the MS dry. so i got a new tack cloth and wiped the hood down. MS + tack cloth = garbage. tack cloth become un-tacky. so I applied the 6th coat to a moist hood. moist as in MS, not water. Here are my results

-------------------------
I think the MS prevented the paint from flattening out

-------------------------

The hood looks like it has orange peeled. You are going to have to do a bit of sanding to get that surface all flush and back to one surface level.

Possibly the wiping down with mineral spirits was a little exhuberant.. ( too much wet ). I would go with a cloth wetted with mineral spirits and then wrung out to get most of the MS out of the cloth before wiping down the car.

Too much MS on a coat of paint causes the outer skin of the paint layer to soften. When you add the next coat of paint on and it begins curing, the lower trapped surface layer gives way and gets pulled at from the forming of the hardening skin on the fresh coat of paint.

So let the hood dry and harden fully and then go at it with the sand paper to knock back the orange peel.

I know it is frustrating to take one step forward and two steps back... but sometimes it is worth the extra effort to get a better finished product.

As for that mosquitoe that attached himself to your hood... that was nasty. Maybe you could burn one of those RAID citronella bug repellant incense things to force the bugs away from your work area.

AND yes... I actually did that one day while working in my garage on the painting The buggers were taking advantage of my concentration on painting to try to feast on me. So I lit up one of those citronella bug repellant incense things and it drove the buggers off.

They work equally well outside. Maybe you could get one of those garden type ones, that are mounted on a bamboo shaft. It would drive away most flying bugs from where you are working.