Quote:

Finished my 2nd paint job. I tried flat black for about a year, it looked good, but I wanted a more finished look. I have decided that this method isn't any easier than spraying, but it is a lot cheaper for a similiar ammount of work, plus the ease of touchup is huge. Color is Rusto Almond, with Rusto satin black. 6 coats, then polished with turtlewax rubbing compound, then polish.

I ended up hand polishing and not using my polisher, I didn't really think that the rotary polisher worked that great, may be my technique.

The car is really shining now though!

You say the hood is now satin, so in your pictures when it was black, was that flat or satin? I thought for sure it was satin then. Can you re-post the link to your photo album? I seem to have lost it.

As far as satin black goes, how hard is that to match if I spray it? Because of our fog I have to paint panels within a few days or it'll rust through the primer, which means painting my car in stages. Will I end up with a multi-hue black? I know 69Charger said he touched up and couldn't tell the difference, but that was gloss.

Here's my car when it was in epoxy primer, before it became a chalky, faded mess about a year later as the rain washed most of it off. I didn't know about UV stability then. Funny thing is, I touched up a few spots with Krylon ultra flat and the door with Rustoleum flat black and those spots are still there after 2 more years of sun and rain. So much for "cheaper" paint, huh?

Here's what the epoxy primer looks like now. $180 literally down the drain.