Oh ok, any idea if there were any pics posted of what the metallic paint did? A visual would help me decide if it's completely out of the question or if I'd consider living with the results. And yes spraying on the last coat would sort of defeat the purpose, I guess I was thinking in terms of only needing a very small amount of paint mixed up to save $, and only having to mask the car once so there's no worry of dust from wetsanding coming off the masking paper onto your next coat. Or possibly even having a shop quote a price on a one coat job with a metallic once you've got the rest of your base coats on... although I don't know if a shop would do just a single layer, or what it would cost as compared to a whole job.

Thanks for the info. on the topside. I'm in Superior, just about as far north and west as you can go in this state lol.

And ron I'll keep the roll-it primer in mind but probably will just go with a simple rattle can primer. I don't think my car has any deep scratches, just surface ones that I'll take care of when I sand it down. There's only one dent I need to repair which I just might be able to get out with a dent puller or might end up using bondo, we'll see, but I think the rustoleum primer spray can should work fine.

Oh, I edited to add one more question about priming. The primer's purpose is to give you a good surface to start painting on, but I was wondering if you all have been sanding on the primer before you start painting, or just leaving the primer as is?