Quote:

You sprayed clear over Rustoleum? Details, please. Was this Napa branded paint? Was it in a spray bomb or can? Did you rough up the rusto first? Roller, brush or spray?

People have been asking about clear-coating rusto since day one.

First some background...I can't paint.
after reading this thread for 4 days straight this spring, I thought I would give it a shot with a brush and roller. I had great results and people on the lake can't believe I didn't spray the ski. That was ski #1 below. The first ski was done just like the origional formula, sand, paint, wetsand and buff. I used a little rattle can red for the hard to reach areas.
The yellow one above is my 2nd ski I painted using the 69charger method (thanks again 69Charger).
The only thing I hated was the buffing all the curves, small areas, etc... it took a LOT of time.

So I painted the yellow ski above the exact same way but I didn't buff it. I just left it wetsanded smooth, flat and dull looking. I ran down to Napa auto and bought a quart of Nason clear and a pint of hardner and mixed a 4:1 ratio. I cleaned the ski, tacked it and shot a coat of clear. I waited about 10 minutes and shot another and the last coat was about 15 minutes after that. I can't tell you how happy I am with the results. This spring I will shoot clear over ski #1 (below) including the graphics.

Yes sir, Nason clear works fine, is cheap ($36.00 for the clear and hardner). I will spray Nason clear on my next project.
BTW, I tried spray bomb clear and hated it.

3872196-SJ1.jpg (415 downloads)
Last edited by Antwon; 10/11/07 10:24 AM.