The one thing that keeps drawing me back to this site each day is the hope of seeing yet another project underway or nearing completion ( or even completed ). I get a kick out of seeing how some of the projects have turned out.

I think the move to the white primer to begin was a big time saver for you - and with the yellow on it, it should make that yellow really pop.

Now... my first instict would be to knock back the orange peel at this stage - before adding another layer of paint on to it.

In other areas you can just do a very light web sanding to skim the surface. And where the orange peel is more pronounced, you can level it out now.

Since you are early in the paint process, it is better to defeat the orange peel and get things fully smoothed out. By the time you add your 2nd and 3rd coat you will have enough color coverage that you won't know where the original areas were that needed that extra bit of wet sanding.

I am surprised by how strong the yellow color took over the white primer. If you had told me it was a 4th coat I would probably have believed you.

Now... what I would be tempted to do is allow more drying time before adding another coat of paint. For example, if you go ahead and do the above referenced wet sanding to knock back the orange peel, let it sit for a few days. This is just to ensure that any paint that has been exposed after skimming off the top skin layer will fully cure. Those hot Arizona days will probably help quite a bit.

And as noted, thin back the paint just a little more - OR - stick with your current paint to mineral spirit ratio AND then add about 5% more of that Penetrol product.

I would like the coats going on to be a little thinner. In the back of my mind, I would have imagined the first coat on the white primer looking more like it had been 'just yellowed' by a giant dog peeing on it. Sort of a situation where you can see it is yellow but it is fairly faint. After all, the best results take a number of coats before you can get 100% color coverage. So that first coat on bright white should have appeared like it only was giving 25% of the color coverage that it will ultimately end up with.

BUT you are in a good position with what I can see so far and so nothing has been lost and you are a in a good position to built on what you have achieved so far.

That yellow really pops on that truck. It should look sharp when you are done.

Marq