Quote:

Crazy amounts of peel. I thinned but it's just the weather/paint combination. Anyway here is brightside sapphire blue..

I have 4 coats on. I think I will do 2 more then hopefully I'll be able to wet sand out the peel and polish without having to add anymore paint.

The Sapphire blue is a gorgeous color.

I think what you might consider is this.... take out some 800 grit sandpaper and wetsand the orange peel out before adding any more coats. The let the wetsanded project dry for a couple of days ( upto 7 just to be absolutely certain it has cured ). Then proceed with your two final coats.

The idea being that if you can nail the orange peel at this point.. then hopefully the next two coats of paint will lay down smooth and glossy with little or no peel. Then you would only have to finish off the wetsanding using a 1500 or 2000 grit.

The problem with waiting til the final coat of paint to try to knock back the orange peel, is that you have to imagine the orange peel as looking something like this :

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

When you are doing that final wetsanding you are just knocking the caps off the top part of the A and trying to get the peaks knocked down so that the overall surface is equal to the majority or average of all the valleys.

If you just add more paint onto the peel... it will simply raise the valleys and the peaks together. Sadly it doesn't just fill in the valleys....

So if you knock it all down to one peakless surface... the next two coats of paint will stand a better chance of not exhibiting the peel effect and give you a shinier and smoother surface that won't need as much final wetsanding.

One other thing that you may have picked up from reading this thread... is when guys have had to knock back orange peel at the final stage of their paint job... sometimes they find variations in color because when knocking back the peel it may result in three different layers showing.

So by nailing the peel prior to the final two coats of paint, you will also reduce the chances of that happening during the final wetsanding and polishing.

Last edited by Marq; 06/18/07 12:09 PM.