Quote:

I used a kitchen sponge I found under the kitchen sink that I am pretty sure my wife didn't need, and it worked much better than sandpaper alone.

The problem with most of the kitchen sponges that I know of is that they aren't very dense. So they don't tend to hold a firm level surface when mated up with a wet piece of sandpaper. So instead of cutting the caps off the ridges, it tends to allow the sandpaper to flex into the valleys as well as the caps. The other downside to most kitchen sponges is that they are made out of some crappy synthetic stuff that tends to flake particles off the sponge the longer they are used. Then again... even 100% natural sponges also tend to fall apart when put into situations where there is abrasion going on.

That was another good feature of those gardening knee pad foams... is that because they are high density foam.. they don't tend to disintegrate with water or abrasion. And they always tend to rebound back to their original shape. I think they call that ability a 'memory' in materials.

And I should mention that this type of 'high density foam' is like 10 or 20 times more dense than the 'high density' foam rollers that we use. I thought I would mention that in case there was any confusion about the definition of high density foam when comparing the rollers versus these knee pad thingys..