Way back... probably in message thread one of this epic I shared with everyone what I used to back my sandpaper when wet sanding. I thought I would again tell the tale because it worked for me and proved to be exceptional for the wetsanding task.

I took one of my wife's high density foam knee pads that she uses in the garden to protect her knees when working in the garden

The foam pad is about.. 15 x 18 x 3/4 inch...

At around $ 3.00 to $ 5.00 ( so it is a bargain ). And what you do is take your scissors or exacto knife and slice off a section that is handsize and tailored to fit a half page of sand paper. You simply wrap the sandpaper around the foam block, dip it in the water/soap bucket and it tends to hold together nicely as you use it to work the cars body surface with your wet sanding.

Here is a supplier on eBay that is selling them for $3.00 - $ 5.00 IF you cannot find any at your local garden supply stores..

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Gardening-Knee-Pad-LA...1QQcmdZViewItem

The key feature of this high density foam is that it holds its shape, keeps surfacing level, it feels great in the hand, you can tailor the size of the sanding block to whatever YOU want and feel most comfortable with. And best of all... for 3 bucks you can make a number of sanding blocks out of the one foam slab.

Nuff said. Hope this helps some folks out.. and once again proves that we can use things designed for one purpose for a totally different purpose than it was intended. Thinking outside the box saves money...

And in case you are wondering... YES.. my wife was mucho annoyed when she saw what I had done to her gardening pad hahahhahhahh... c'est la vie..

Marq

Last edited by Marq; 07/22/07 12:31 PM.