Quote:

I am trying this painting method on my car hood, which I have removed from the car and am painting in my garage. (I want to get the technique right before I start on the rest of the car.) Anyway, I sanded off the old paint down to the metal then applied a layer of rustoleum primer spray paint. I then applied a layer of rustoleum enamel (exactly what you used except black) mixed 50/50 with mineral spirits. The first coat went on beautifully, I sanded it 24 hours later and prepped it for the next coat. When I applied the 2nd coat however, I guess the mineral spirits began reacting with the first coat and started removing the paint. What is the cause of this?

Without pics, I'd say not enough time to dry. Dry time will vary with temp, humidity and MS mixture. Or, if it was lifting off in sheets, not dry enough and an adhesion problem with your surface.

50/50 MS mixture coupled with low temps will extend your dry time considerably. You are adding MS to extend workability, allowing the paint to self-level. Low temps extend dry time as well, so you are doubling down.

Back off on the MS, add some more dry time, or add some temp - whichever is easier to accomplish.

Last edited by Mike Da Wrench; 01/17/08 07:13 PM.