Thanks for the encouragement Marq.

One variable that might have been a contributing factor was that I didn't use mineral spirits to wipe down the trunk -- I used a professional grade cleaner (silicone, wax, grease etc) from Sherwin Williams, but as with anything else - mixing solvent based stuff, paints, etc, -- that might have been it... dunno...

Frustrating thing is, I know this stuff will come out just like glass even before any wet sanding, from the way it dried on the back edge. Light sanding with some 1500/2000 and a buffer and it would have been mint...

Satin black:
Anyone looking for a good satin black in a rattle can -- check out DupliColor "low gloss" engine enamel/high heat black. Stuff is awesome. I'm using on a lot of brackets etc. -- blends really easily, dries fast, and *really* even.

If all goes well on the deck lid -- I've got a can of Sherwin Williams DTM paint that I'm going to try on the rest of the car. It's one of their industrial/marine coatings, but you can have it tinted to anything in their colour chart. I've got "Fully Purple" waiting to go on if all goes well.

Sherwin Williams also make a water based clear which I'm gonna try (inside trunk, floors, stuff like that) -- again, from the industrial/marine stuff -- and again, if all goes well http://www.globalspec.com/FeaturedProduc...r_Coat_/17777/0