Quote:

well, this is just a fun car but Im glad to be learning. I was thinking that the rougher the surface, the better the purchase or bond of the paint would be. I was noticing that the finish was a bit gritty but I will put in the elbow grease tomorrow and try to work it out a little more. Thanks for the help guys. Ill post up once I get the things settled out a bit more.

I understand what you were thinking. Suffice to say that a 320 grit sanded surface will leave plenty of places for the paint or primer to get good adhesion.

But as you will notice... as you add more layers of paint and start wet sanding with 800 / 1000 or 1200 grit paper, the paint will still be able to grab a solid foothold and bond with the paint subsurface that you are rolling on to.

The more important theory to keep in mind is that the smoother you wet sand each subsequent or alternative coat of paint... the smoother and shiner/glossier the paint will turn out.

The other benefit is that as the top surface keeps getting smoother.. it takes far less work to wet sand the top layer in preparation for the next coat of paint. Catch the message I posted just a week ago where I try to explain the concept like a Zomboni ice surfacing machine and the similarity in concept to how we add thin layers of paint.

It all will add up to a great learning experience for you as you progress through the layers of paint. At the very least it is a great exploration into your own limits of patience and meticulousness. It takes time and patience to do this job right... and fortunately it doesn't take the highest levels of skills or secret knowledge to accomplish.