Quote:

OK, here's a crappy pic of the bumper. This was with the paint thinned 20%; the 5% paint on the fender and spoiler are far more orange-peely. Nothing a little wet sanding tomorrow won't cure, but still it's a bit disappointing.

I would pull out the trusty 800 grit sandpaper and knock down all the peel. If you find it is not knocking it down agressively then resort to the 320 or 400 grit. Then wipe the entire puppy down with a clean rag that is lightly dampened with mineral spirit to remove all debris and foreign crap off it. Then hit the puppy again with a 20% or 30% mineral spirit to paint mix again.

I know that spot on the bumper is a bit of a paint to work around because of all the different surfaces. I did the inner surfaces and more difficult to reach surfaces first and then went after the easier and more accessible surfaces after. This way I could blend out any over-runs coming from the more difficult surfaces.

Now here is a trick I used on the front and rear bumpers of my McLaren which also have those large open areas. Do the sanding as suggested above... and then spray those enclosed difficult to reach spots with an aerosol. Then do your roller routine on the more easily accessed areas - and that will allow you to blend it together nicely.

But you can also do a bit of 'customizing' here if you wanted. For example... do the sanding down as previously described. Now tape and mask all the areas outside of the 'holes'. Take a black Tremclad/Rustoleum spray aerosol and spray those inner holes black. Let it dry thoroughly. Then mask off the inner holes and roll the outer areas like normal. This will give you a nice two tone effect that will set off the holes and give them additional depth visually.

This combination of aerosol and roller trick worked well for that type of situation. And if you have a roller paint that happens to have a matching color in the aerosol then you can do a pretty seamless paint job there. Even though I was using the Brightside 'Fire Red' on my body... I was able to use the Tremclad/Rustoleum 'Fire Red' aerosol to hit those difficult to roll areas.

Hopefully this time is the charm.

Last edited by Marq; 06/22/07 12:04 AM.