For MYBUICK, GFEIGHNY, and other present and former sprayers,
(Subject:1994 Chevy Caprice)
Like Mybuick, I was never completely satisfied with the roller method. I painted a test fender and my garage entry door and I am confident that the roller method can work if you have the time to make it happen; however, my subject is a daily driver and I will only have a week to dismantle it and paint it.

Motivated by the following statement found in part II of the thread:
“The sprayed portion was completely hard in a day or two while the rolled on parts took about two months to reach full hardness.”
-Trent

I’ve got a full face respirator, a small 30 gallon 1.5 HP compressor and a HF touch up gun, model 46719-1VGA with 1.0 mm tip, a porter cable buffer with assorted cutting and polishing pads.

Questions:
1) Is one week enough time to properly take everything apart, spray it, buff it, and reassemble it?
2) Should I build a DIY booth? I was thinking of covering the floor and walls with plastic, mounting 2 fans high pulling air in, and 2 fans on the ground pushing air out – all using AC filters. Is this overkill?
3) The car is black, the primer I used to cover the repaired areas is black and the new paint will be black, how many sprayed coats will be required?
4) When spraying, did you sand after each coat? If so, what grade paper did you use?
5) It looks like 3 parts Rustoleum Professional and 2 parts regular mineral spirits is the correct mixture – right?
6) This was asked in part II, if I’m going to spray it, should I use a different paint? (I’m sure there are many options, but I would like to stay within a reasonable budget.)

Any other hints and tips about using an HVLP gun and spraying method would be greatly appreciated.