Hey,
I just joined so i could share everything thats been going on with the paint job on my 88 rx7, and ask a few questions. Ive been working on this in all my free time the past couple of weeks. I used brightside fire red lightly thinned (last 5 coats at least) with pentrol/mineral spirits. Used the roll and tip method, the double roller technique kept leaving orange peel for me.
Here are some before shots

Here it is in primer (should have went with white i think)

Here is the first coat, i was pretty troubled by all the runs/uneven coverage, i found that if I scraped a razer perpendicular to the panel along the run i could get it mostly flat before sanding it down a little more.

Final coat, (6th coat)

Hood polished, i had alot of texture in this, its hard to see on the pictures but various roller lines etc. kinda looks like subtle waves, i cant really feel them, and everything was dull from wetsanding.

Re-sanded the hood again 1000 grit this time (aggressive i know), burnt through some paint I can live with it for right now, any ideas on a fix? On the hood i used just straight meguiar's ultimate compound, took a while to buff out, probably 2 hrs.... i picked up some more aggressive polishing compound today to try.

Here are some reflections etc.

Burn through

More shiny reflections

So far i would like to say thanks to the person who recommended the squegee during wetsanding, works great.
And of course thanks to 69charger, and the fellow who tried brightside.

Edited post to include some pictures i left out.

Last edited by SammFC3s; 02/22/10 06:40 PM.