Quote:

Has anyone had experience dealing with small rust holes? My dad says that I should just stick ducttape on the back of the panel and bondo over it, I have also heard something about fiberglass reconstruction. I can't mig weld nor is the car worth enough for me to invest in someone who could.

The problem with that surface rust is that they probably have eaten all the way through. A disk angle grinder could chew through that rust etc and you would find out pretty quickly how extensive the problem is. And if you were going to lay down a new fiberglass skin, well having that entire surface grounded down is going to be needed anyhow.

If I was looking at that problem on one of my lower rear quarters... here is the recipe I would probably take to go at it:

a ) use an angle grinder and chew that panel down to as much metal showing as possible. You can use a very coarse grinding surface to really rip the paint and rust off it down to metal ( while also leaving a fairly chewed up surface for the fiberglassing to adhere to.

b ) take out a sheet of fiberglass and trim it to cover fully the surface and the edges. Now make a second sheet identical to the first one. Soak the first fibreglass sheet in the resin preparation and slap it over the entire surface. Then for good measure, take the the second sheet of fiberglass, soak it in the resin preparation and slap it on. The second sheet should end up with a smoother overall surface.

c ) let it fully cure.

d ) get a can of spray on anti-rust chemical and now soak like h*ll the back surface to stop the metal from trying to reform rust underneath the fiberglass.

e ) you should be able at this point to lay on a thin skin of bondo just to smooth out the surface and work out any imperfections in the overall look of the fiberglassed area.

------ the problem with the duct tape behind the hole and bondo over the hole solution is that it might only have a 1 year or two year lifespan before it comes back to haunt you.

------ the absolute best way to go around the problem is to replace that section with a new skin of metal - whether a new replacement skin designed for that spot... OR... maybe you could located that particular section in good shape at an autowrecker. Trim the piece out, rivet it in and then bondo over the rivets etc.