Quote:

Still, once all is said and done, should I let the last coat cure for a while before driving it about? I would imagine an overnight setting then a final buffing. Should that then sit for a week or would it be good to go after another night setting?

Thanks so much for all the info, btw Marq. I noticed you've been an incredible help to so many already. Then again, makes me wonder if you have too much to do with so many very detailed replies.

Well... I would try to plan my weekend painting schedule so that one coat goes on Saturday in the morning... and the second coat goes on Sunday in the morning. This would give that second coat the rest of Sunday and the early morning hours up to when you drive to work on Monday to dry.

When you reach the point were you have gotten to the 'last' coat of paint I would let that coat sit on the car for a week or two before going to the final wetsanding, polishing, waxing and buffing stage. The key reason for delaying that final stage is to let the paint fully evaporate and get hardened. It would be great if you got a few clear days where the final coat of paint could be left out in the sun to get some additional baking. The reason we don't want to rush to that final finishing up stage is that the waxing will be sealing up the surface. If there are any gases still evaporating from the curing paint, it will cause the waxed surface to whiten slightly - which will require further polishing and waxing to get rid of.

I don't mind slapping out as much info as I can when I try to answer a question. In a way it saves me work, because it sometimes will answer or explain other questions that might arise if I just gave a skimpy answer. ( and that fact that I type at 240 words a minute makes it no big deal to try to give a full explanation ). If the more detailed answer ends up answering other peoples questions, then I have saved myself from some future typing