Quote:

A while back i read in a post that someone mixed some colors together to get a dark red.

I can't remember if it was rustoleum regal red mixed with black or blue.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Ps,i did a search and went back several times trying to find the information but haven't been able to find it,so far.

Thanks in advance if you can help. john

I know that I wanted a deep dark red... and I tried quite a few color combinations to try to get it.... I failed.

If you mix Rustoleum/Tremclad "Fire Red' with any amount of black... you will almost always end up getting a shade of 'pottery brown'... ( that color on those planting pots made of clay ).

It didn't matter if I tried blue or any other color to try to darken the red. They all failed.

YET... we know for example that the blue will mix with black and get a darker blue.... and green will mix with black and get a darker green.

So we have to assume that there is some color element missing in the red ( or maybe there is just not enough color pigment in the red ) to be able to add black and get a darker red.

What you will notice about the 'fire red' in both the Tremclad/Rustoleum AND in the Brightside 'fire red' is that they are 'red with a tint or leaning towards the shade of orange'. So the 'fire red' in either type of paint may have just too much yellow pigment to get around their inclination towards a pottery brown color when black is mixed in.

I should also note, that in my quest to try to get a darker red, I also bought a tube of professional 'black tinting agent'. This stuff comes in a small tube, the size of a midget package of toothpaste. NORMALLY.. if you add that professional paint tinting agent to any color, it will drift the color it is being added to in to a darker shade of the original color. It failed with 'fire red'.

The one thing that we did discover later... is that one of the 'other' paint manufacturers, who produce a polyurathane marine paint DID have a number of shades of red in their color offerings. Had I known about the red variations they were offering, I would probably have given their polyurathane a shot. It would have been the equivalent of the Brightside marine polyurathane paint.

There was also a farmer tractor paint supplier that had an interesting palette of red shades in their enamel paint. This would be equivalent to the Rustoleum/Tremclad paint.

I don't remember 'which' of the two above paint types had it, but one of the colors I remember them offering was 'Coca Cola red'... They also had some other shades of red with names that were similarly identifiable with known red colors that we see in common usage.

Hopefully this brain dump of what I recall about our red discussions will help point you in the right direction.

I think the polyurathane paint supplier was named 'Top Secret'... or something like that... and the farm tractor paint was offered by some farm supply company. You might be able to find our discussions about either of those companies by keying in a search using "Secret' for the polyurathane company and 'Farm" for that tractor paint supplier. Those words are fairly exlusive to our discussions about those paints and shouldn't bring up too many non-relevant discussions in the other message threads.

Marq

Last edited by Marq; 02/15/08 01:39 PM.