i finally started on my car after reading since january 2006. figured i would be an expert on the subject by now.
a few friends and i started by cleaning the car, sanded with 400 grit, cleaned off, the one friend used the foam brush in tight areas while i rolled large areas and tried to smooth out his runs and sags.
i have only put clean metal primer on so far cut with black to speed up the process(maybe about 50%/50% and also added some mineral spirits, but the primer is already pretty thin.
the weather was maybe 60% humidity and maybe 65-70*
the 400 grit did not leave the paint/primer as rough as i thought it would, and i also noticed some area that i rolled over lifted (it seemed),possibly just wiping off.
waited about 13 hours(70-75% humidity this morning) and went out to the car today to wipe down with mineral spirits and see if the my hurting too short of finger nails could scratch the paint....it scratches off pretty easily in some areas, and taking mineral spirits to it after that made the paint sort of easy to rub off.
i still plan on using 600 to scuff the primer before putting my black down, but figured primer would give me better adhesion.
car is outside at the moment, wanted to get it painted in the natural light and hopefully bake on before moving it back into the garage, but it is supposed to rain friday and saturday.
i only have a few hours tuesday and thursday before school, and only long day is wednesday before school to work on things....no electricity in my garage.
am i doing anything wrong?
is it possible that using windex to help clean initially messed up my adhesion?

03 cobra, 85 mustang, 59 galaxie, 68 sportster