Update. After putting on 2 thick coats of unthinned primer to the fenders and hood, then sanding most of it back of, I decided to do 1 thinned coat to the whole truck. Full strength it builds quickly which is great for filling small surface imperfections. But too thick it takes longer to fully dry.

Also, doing the primer help me get comfortable with the rolling technique. As I went along I got much better at laying down smooth coats and reducing roller lines. There are lines where my coats overlapped areas that had dried already. And I also think that I will see less roller marks on the color coats when the paint is thinned much thinner than I did the primer, and the paint doesn't dry as fast which will give me more time to work it.

Pics:

You can see the dent I need to fix just in front of the rear wheelwell.

Darker white areas like at the top of the fender are where there was primer left after sanding it back smooth

The lighter spots are where there is the thin coat of primer over areas that went lower than factory paint (metal/factory primer)

After getting the whole thing in primer, I'm still thinking it might look really good in gloss white. But Im going to stick with the charcoal grey for now.

I've been debating blacking this out with gloss black, but for now Im going to leave the factory gray. Its in great shape. Only two small spots where the paint was scratched off and there is surface rust. You can see them at the bottom. Im just going to sand those two areas and hit them with some of the charcoal gray.

There is a small dent at the first D in Dodge, and another in the center/bottom of the tailgate. Im also deciding whether to paint the hitch black or body color.

These are the two holes that I will bondo/feather, then primer back over on the drivers bed rail.

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG