Quote:

I just started with my first coat today! i really need some practice. From what i have read i found the best results seem to come from really thin coats. So this is what i did. I think my paint was too thin. I went with a 50/50 mix and it ran everywhere. No big deal though, i am still in th practicing stage so i am experimenting right now.

If you are getting a lot of paint running... then it simply may be that you are loading tooooo much of the paint mixture on to your roller. Use that ramp thing in the paint tray to squeegy out most of the paint that the roller has loaded up. It's better to starve the roller of paint then to overload it and have runs.

Instead of thinking of this process as 'painting'... instead think of it as simply uniformly wetting the panels.

Painting tends to imply that you will see coloring results... whereas if you are simply trying to evenly wet the surface with just a glistening of the paint/spirit mixture, you will get better results.

Keep chanting this little mantra to yourself as you go along.. :

- Less is best... ( paint on the roller )

Pretend that your paint/spirit mixture is costing you $1000 AN OUNCE. You know how stingy you would be applying it if it was costing you that much.

A cool game to play with yourself is to see how little paint you can actually use each time to put a uniform wetting on the whole car. Let's say the first coat took about 1/2 of a can... the next coat try to use only 7/16ths of a can... the next coat try to cut it back to just 3/8ths of a can. You may not be able to get it down that low... but if you are trying your best to be stingy with your paint... then you will be able to achieve the less is best mantra.

The key to remember is that by the time you have laid down your 8th or 9th super thin layer you should AT THAT TIME have full color coverage and no longer be able to see the original color that you first began painting on.

Good luck and get miserly with your paint on the roller !

Last edited by Marq; 04/07/08 12:14 AM.