Satin Black Question: Okay, I've never worked with Satin Black Rust Paint, and I've painted my RR Bulge Hood, front valence, and 1/2 the roof the satin black. I used this method, roller method, fifty percent mineral spirits, and sanded in between coats.

I now have a very slick surface, no orange peel, no drips, no runs on the areas where I wanted a matte black appearance and it looks good. I do have a few small dings that showed up in the black that I didn't see with the primer layers, and this weekend I'm getting some body glaze to fill those in and repaint.

I've never seen a car with matte/satin black, so I'm not familiar with the surface of the paint at the end result. I'm treating this more like a primer and not wet sanding. Just sanding down the orange peel and sometimes the runs with increasingly finer grits of sandpaper. All in all, it's a very level, evenly covered surface that feels smooth as silk, but without the gloss of the high gloss paints.

Is this the end result I want for matte black, or should it feel like an unsanded surface, rough to the touch? Will I have to polish with an orbital polisher? Again, at the tender age of 52, I've never seen a matte black surface on a car.

Stupid questions I know, but man, I'm stoked with the look.