Quote:

Quote:

Today I was bored and decided to paint a hood I have laying around the farm.
I just scuffed it with 220, I then took Tremclad Recreational white, and added a few table spoons of Tremclad gloss black into the 6 0unces of paint (now very light gray hue to it), I then added about 3/4 of an ounce of Evercoats DOI wetlook hardener, and 2 1/2 ounces of generic medium speed enamel reducer(xylene content).
I used my not-so expensive, HVLP 1.4 tip gravity feed spraygun, and layed on a mist coat, on the one side of the hood, let this flash about 20 minutes and then shot on a nice medium coverage film.
It looks great, no runs, no peel, and it is still flashing, might add a 3rd coat. ....

What are the suggested safety precautions when doing this? That is, does the hardener contain isocyanates?

Of course it does contain harmful elements, you do not breath this, you do not do this in an attached garage, or in an urban center, I am on the farm.
This hardener is not a urethane catalyst, but does need safety pre-cautions.
I wear a 3M respirator, and my garage is well ventilated. If I were painting with 2 k Urethanes, I would be using an air supplied respirator, and doing the painting in a controlled booth.
But this is an enamel paint, with a generic enamel hardner, but with all chemicals proceed with caution.
If in doubt, do not attempt thgis, or do some research first, follow all safety precautions ALWAYS.

ADDENDUM:
Yes folks, Evercoats DOI Wetlook Hardener does contain Isocyanates, so follow all safety procedures, while working with this stuff.
The good news is this, although Tremclad, Rustoleum,XO Rust Paint, are all syntheic resin enamels( alkyd enamels), once you introduce a catalyst hardener, it takes on very much the same prooperites of a 2 pack SS acrylic enamel, the finish will be harder, glossier, and will not fade as easily as without.
Using enamel reducer for automotive use, is basically a faster solvent, ie xylene, naptha,toluene. You cannot use these faster solvens when rolling, as you need slow thinner like mineral spirits.......

Last edited by C38coupe; 05/01/09 03:57 PM.