Quote:

anyone testing with clears over this paint yet?
the rustoleum clear only comes in spray cans right?

Rustoleum makes an Industrial clear available in gallons only. Some folks here have bought the Industrial clear but haven't reported any results yet, other than how dark it looks in the can.

On the rattle can clear, I tried several different combinations of paint while trying to produce a faux chrome finish for a nose grill I was working on.

Rustoleum rattle can clear will work with Rustoleum "metal" hobby paint - the result is a very bright clearcoat metalic silver. Its not bright enough to simulate chrome, but may be too bright for an entire car. It does lay down nice, though.

Applying the rattlecan clear to rustoleum aluminum and chrome finishes just caused them to darken considerably - gunmetal-ish. In my experience this finish did not last long (I was sanding it off the next day!)

Rustoleum puts "Do not use with Rustoleum Automotive Paints" right on the label of the rattlecan clear.

It also says to apply the clear 10 minutes after the last layer of color, but I had trouble with elephant skin and outgassing bubbles if I didn't let the metal paint properly cure.

It took me three weeks to paint those stupid grills, mostly because of the experimentation and "distance to the paint perfection" effect Marq describes.

Heaven help me when I paint the car...