Quote:

Marq,

I have a 66 chevy van that i am going to roll with tremclad but first am going to roll on some primer to even out the base. My question is, do I mix the primer with the mineral spirits? If so, to the same consistancy?

Thanks

If you were using the Brightside primer... I would use it straight out of the can... with the intention of doing a very light wetsanding afterwords to make it as smooth as possible.

If I was using the Rustoleum primer... I would probably treat it the same as the Brightside and use it straight out of the can with the intention of doing a very light wetsanding.

In both cases you could add a little mineral spirit to wetten the primer so that it rolls on and has a bit more time to self-level. The more the primer is able to self-level, the smoother the dried primer will be - requiring less light wetsanding to smoothen up the primed surface prior to painting.

You will note that both of these primers are liquid in a can and both can be rolled on. I would not use the aerosol or spraybomb type primers because they don't deliver enough adhesion or color pigment.

AND don't forget the other advantage of the roll on liquid primers is that you can put 20% of the actual color paint into the primer to get it started leaning towards the color you are going to ultimately end up. Just be sure to allow a little extra drying time.

Just for reference sake : In the case of the above white primered truck, that is heading towards yellow... he could have put 20% yellow paint into his white primer and basically started with a yellowish primer upon which to build his later yellow coats.

Last edited by Marq; 05/09/08 10:26 PM.