Finally started fixing my 65 mustang coupe. Cheapest paint job I could find was $3000 so I decided what do I have to lose. With the $3000 I am saving I can add some more hp to my anemic 6 cyl motor.

Anyways here is what I started with:

I am reversing the color scheme using Brightside Blu-Glo white for the Leman stripes and Flag Blue for the rest of the body.

I did about 4 coats of blue and it looked really orange peely so I sanded it way back. What I found out is I could not push down hard enough with the roller on the cheap throw away plastic paint trays without them collapsing on me. This caused me to have way to much paint on the roller. I went to Lowes and spent 40 cents more and bought a thick plastic tray instead of the cheap ones. What a difference. I was able to press much harder on the roller in the tray removing most of the paint. This allowed me to get a nice thin and smoother coat.

Here is where I am at now:

Here is a link to some more pictures for those who are interested.
Rolling a 65 pony

I am also playing with adding pearl to the paint.
I kept hearing that it won't work but I am pig headed and needed to try it myself. I made two batches of paint one with Silver Satin Pearl and the other with Purple Pearl to the flag blue and applied each to half a fender skin I had kicking around.
So far so good. There does not seem to be any blotchy areas and the pearl seems well disbursed.

Again thanks to all the blazed the trail. I can't wait to go to some car show and tell people I roller painted the car.

Last edited by 65pony; 07/13/09 09:00 PM.