Quote:

Brightside question to anyone who knows the answer...

Is it a requirement to let Brightside dry for longer than 24 hrs before using polishing compound and sealant or can it be done right after the final coat is dry like the rustoleum?

My personal preference with the Brightside was to let it cure for a few months. Once I had the final coat on it looked quite acceptable - not showroom - but quite acceptable for putting some mileage on. After all, my car had been off road while all this painting process was going on. So I wanted to put some miles on the car and have some fun with it.

My theory was that waiting that extra time would do no harm and would ensure that the paint was 100% cured.

I don't know if I would rush within 24 hours of the last coat to move on to the polishing compound stage and sealant.

The paint in theory is still curing at that point. I would say that you might be better off waiting at least 72 hours... or even up to 1 week before going for the final compounding, polishing and waxing.

The next question would revolve around the type of sealant you are going to lay on it. Some 'sealants' might provide too good a protective outer seal. Just imaine this - the paint is still curing ( which basically means the gases are still evaporating out of the paint ). If you slap on an excellent sealing layer over the paint, the escaping gases or vapors from the paint won't have any where to go. They will rise from the paint and get trapped between the paint and the sealant layer. This could cause some separation of adhesion between the sealant layer and the paint.

If by sealant you meant something like a lovely carnuba wax coating or most natural wax coatings, there would not be this 'trapping' problem - because the waxes don't form enough of a seal to keep the escaping gases from the paint trapped.

Some of the automotive polish/waxes use acrylic or other futuristic compounds to seal the painted surface and to give a shine. Its hard to predict how they may react to the escaping gases from the paint. It may discolor them.. it may cause them to lose adhesion. it may result in no problem.

So it is sometimes better to exercise a little patience when you go to proceed to the final finishing stage, just to eliminate problems that might be caused by evaporating gases/vapors from the paint.