Quote:

I really dont want to spend THAT much time, when I could just pony up the extra $40 for paint that needs no polishing..... It seems like the $50 paint job is $50 but 40 hours of hard labor, where as a real paint job might be $70 for a gallon of real auto paint, plus you need a paint gun, but it can be done in an afternoon and done with it.... Factor in the labor and its much cheaper to just spray real automotive paint on there....

Nowhere in this exhaustive thread does anybody say this is quicker or cheaper than spraying IF you already have the capital equipment and expertise. That is a big if.

Also, "Real" automotive paint requires you to mix reducers and hardeners in the right combinations for the atmospheric conditions. If you can't handle mixing mineral sprits with rustoleum, you are in for some real disappointment along with your $70 of "real" automotive paint.

And don't get me started about trash in the paint. If you don't have a clean place to roll, you definitely do not have a clean enough place to spray.

Cal96 got excellent results with regular Rustoleum and a Wagner, so it can be done:

If you require more gloss out of the can, might I suggest Brightside. AussieDriver has had good results:

Be realistic with your expectations. This method is not intended to be a shortcut. It is an alternative that allows for a quality paint job with A: little investment in cash and capital, and B: personal control over the finished product.

But it does require time and effort.

Cheap, Good, Quick - pick any two.

PS: If I have linked to images inappropriately, let me know.

Last edited by Mike Da Wrench; 08/29/07 07:18 PM.