Quote:

I tested cosmetic glitter. The possibilities are intriguing. It's inexpensive, *very* fine and seems to land flat. It definitely contours well. The thickest areas feel slightly finer than 400 sandpaper- I haven't tested clear coat over it yet but will soon.

a closeup photo
another photo here

*I don't know... this afternoon I saw a boxy suv thing in a parking lot that appeared to have had this very method inflicted upon it. Silver flakes even but sparse over black. it wasn't pretty.

I tried a few experiments with fine mist like flakes. I used gold, silver and a tri-color of red,silver and gold.

It just didn't look right.

The only way that I think that you could 'possibly' get away with the addition of a metal flake is to buy five or six cans of some metalflake AEROSOL ( spray can )... and put a light sprayed mist over your Rustoleum, Tremclad or Brightside paint job AS IT NEARS THE FINAL COAT.

The reason I suggest using a spraybomb with metalflake in the paint... is to get the kind of atomization and dispersal so that you don't end up with some areas heavy in metalflake and other areas sparse.

Then once it dries you lay a final rolled coat of your rolling paint over it. This will help to seal the metalflakes that were propeled onto your paint job.

Basically, people looking to see your metalflake would be looking through the translucency of that final thin coat. So it will slightly tint the light refracting and reflecting off the metal flakes trapped below that final layer.

Last edited by Marq; 09/23/08 09:32 PM.