Quote:

So what I'm wondering is... What have other people done? It would be a lot easier to just spray the bottom of the hood and I plan on spraying inside the engine bay with some sort of satin black spray anyways... But what about the little L shaped lip around the hood, have people been painting the hood and then opening it to paint that lip and under the hood? Removing the hood altogether?

Because I was painting the car in Fire Red, I was able to buy the aerosol and liquid canned paint in the same color. So for under the hood, I used the spray aerosol. For the inner lip of the fender and the hood I also sprayed with the aerosol bomb. I did all my spraying BEFORE doing the roller job on the more exposed exterior parts.
I think at some point I also touched up the inner ffender part that is attached in the engine compartment with a 1" foam paint brush.

While working in the engine compartment I covered the engine and inner fender walls and inner firewall with a sheet of plastic that I taped into position ( just to cut down on the over spray getting in the engine compartment ).

Quote:

And as for door jambs, what have you guys been doing? I'm thinking of just using a small foam brush and a roller when I can, and just do the jambs, inside of the door, then outside of the door... And then close the door for wet sanding and open it again for the next coat?

I just opened the doors and used the aerosol bomb to spray into those hard to reach places. I also spray bombed the bottom of the door panels. The spray bombing went on pretty smoothy and I ended up putting on three coats over a three day period. No additional finishing or waxing was required. It looks like it has always been there. And that was going from black to red.

Quote:

Maybe I'm making things more complicated than they should be, and I should just go ahead an roll the whole exterior out, get it completely finished and then go back and mask off everything but the jambs and under the hood and spray it?

Nah... I went about things the other way around. Get the piddly detail work done first. This way your roller job will not get runs or oversprays that may happen if you did the body first and the 'hard to reach areas' second.

The other advantage of getting the piddly things done first.. is that any overpray on the body can be easily worked over when you do your body sanding and body paint rolling.

In the end... the exterior body is the most important visually to you and anyone who looks upon your roller paint job. Nothing would make you cry more then to do a beautiful exterior body painting... and then foul it up with overspray or paint runs escaping from the 'hard to reach areas'.