Quote:

Don't know if I can thin w/mineral spirits - I know the epoxies can be thinned with acetone and acetone disolves foam of any kind like acid (ever pour acetone into a styrofpam cup ? Pours straight through the bottom !)

To be honest... I am not exactly sure either.

Acetone is basically an evaporative carrier.... much the same as mineral spirits or Interlux's 333.

I don't know if the epoxy based paint or primer would have an adverse effect chemically when mixed.

I do know that the key different between acetone and mineral spirit, when looking at it strictly as an evaporative carrier...is that acetone evaporates much more quickly then mineral spirits.

In normal circumstances... the ideal situation for the roller painting is to slow the evaporation of the carrier and paint sufficiently so that it has time to fully self level before the curing takes hold. This extra bit of working time allows you to work the paint... and for bubbles to self pop or be receptive to popping and not reforming.

You might want to solve the mystery by simply trying a test where you make a little sample of the epoxy with acetone and another with mineral spirit.. and apply them both on some scrap metal surface...

The voice in the back of my head says that the mineral spirit should work. But by doing a test sample you can assure yourself of whether it is viable or not.

One good thing is that the vapors released by the mineral spirits are not as nasty or concentrated as those released by the acetone.