Quote:

I don't know that I would say it's a "no no" at all, as long as it's compatable. I know that there has always been a general "rule" drilled inot all of our heads that you have to primer everything, but it doesn't apply with this paint. Look at 69Charger's original posts and he said it over and over, "no need to primer with this paint", and he was right, you can go direct to metal with it, or paint over primer, paint, etc.

Actually the rule of thumb about whether to use primer or not......

a ) if you have a car of many colors - it pays to primer the car all to one uniform color. It just makes the later painting easier and more evenly colored as you proceed. It could save you the effort of one or two painted coats later...

b ) if you have a relatively rough sanded surface to start with - you might use the primer to build up the surface so that it can be sanded smooth. The idea being that the smoother the starting surface, the better the paint will apply and the shinier the end product.

Otherwise, the Brightside paint or the Rustoleum/Tremclad paint can go directly on without a primer. Basically both paints seal out the oxygen from getting to the exposed metal ( if there is any ) and that does the anti-rust function of a primer.

Last edited by Marq; 08/07/09 02:04 PM.