Quote:

ok. i feel really rediculous for having to resort to asking this here, but its my last resort.

i have started my project. i finally got my penetrol and everything i need. i have snaded and prepped my replacement fender. i have started sanding the rest of my car.

my question is, how much do i have to sand this thing? the car is a light blue. when i sand a lot i hit three different colors. one, the blue gets darker. i assume this is when im past the clear coat. the next, i hit white. i assume primer. third, i hit metal. ive only hit metal where ive needed to to remove rust.

my paint is good, a little sun faded in parts, but nothing bad. do i have to sand all the way through the clear on the whole car? or do i just need to spend some time on a spot and make sure its rough. i just dont want to waste a lot of time going through the clear on the whole car if i dont have to.

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks.

just wanted to add. im wet sanding with 400 and a block. im also using a 320 sponge. it doesnt feel like i can get as much done with the sponge, its too soft.

Here's what I've done before. If your paint is not cracked then you basically have to scuff sand it with 400 grit. If it's cracked you'll need to sand deeper.

What you'll want to do is pay attention to the small area's that you have been down to bare metal. Maybe rolling the paint is more forgiving, but in the past I've found that you should spray over the bare metal with primer(or roll it on if you prefer), and then feather it down to the same level as the surrounding area on the panel. If not you may notice an uneven patch under your finished paint job especially on darker colors.

I've always been told a good looking paint job depends mostly on the prep before hand. I'm sure it applies here just as much.

Last edited by 1967mustang; 07/12/07 03:30 PM.