Well, I had to give this roller method a shot.
I have a '96 neon that has been sitting for 3 years. It runs like a top, but after 15 years and 230k plus miles, cosmetically it was pretty much too embarrassing to drive. lol

If I was going to do this project, I had to be different though, so I went for a two-tone.

Overall, I'm very happy with the end result, but I have to admit, it was work! That's a lot of sanding! If time is on your side though, this is definitely the way to go. There's no way anyone would believe this was rolled on, and some who have seen it don't believe me.

Here goes.... (many pics of the protect can be seen at photobucket.com/NeonMatt )

The original canvas. All the clear was gone, most of the paint as well, and I was pretty much left with factory primer.

After a junk yard door, and a decent amount of prep on the entire car, it was ready to roll.

I originally had my doubts...

But after a few coats, we got coverage...

Time to paint the white....

I ended up spraying the door handles, but the white is done!

As you can see, there is a reflection, but not the greatest. At this point it's about a 15ft paint job.

Wet sanded with 1000, 1500, then 2000.

Then bought a cheap $30 Harbor Freight Rotary, a wool pad with Meguiars Ultimate Compound, and a black pad with Meguiars Ultimate Polish, and it looks MUCH BETTER! Those are dust specs. Amazing what the camera will pick up.

Added a 1/4" vinyl pinstripe (wish I had stuck with my original plan and went with Mopar Blue as the silver kind of gets lost against the white).

And we're done!

And ready to come out of retirement for some autocross action.