Today I was bored and decided to paint a hood I have laying around the farm.
I just scuffed it with 220, I then took Tremclad Recreational white, and added a few table spoons of Tremclad gloss black into the 6 0unces of paint (now very light gray hue to it), I then added about 3/4 of an ounce of Evercoats DOI wetlook hardener, and 2 1/2 ounces of generic medium speed enamel reducer(xylene content).
I used my not-so expensive, HVLP 1.4 tip gravity feed spraygun, and layed on a mist coat, on the one side of the hood, let this flash about 20 minutes and then shot on a nice medium coverage film.
It looks great, no runs, no peel, and it is still flashing, might add a 3rd coat.
I realize this is a roller thread, but there might be people reading this who would like to spray enamel paint.
Once you add hardener to synthetic resin enamel(tremclad,rustloeum,XO rust), it becomes a modified alkyd enamel, takes on many traits of an acrylic enamel, harder, shinier, more fad resistance,dires faster).
this mix sprays real nicer, and you don't need high end sprayguns to do it, just a halfway decent home compressor, spraygun, line filrers to keep out moisture and some practice................