Well, after reading every post on this topic (all 700 million of them!) I took the plunge this morning. My wife was miffed that I used my last day of vacation to do it rather than clean out the garage and then spend time with her, but oh well.

Anyway, my son totalled my daily driver with only 84K on it but I was able to buy it back from the insurance company for a pittance. With the rest of the money we bought new body and suspension parts, and decided it would be worth doing. It's "only" a 1992 Nissan Sentra but it's been in our family for 15 years, seeing duty only as a back-and-forth-to-work car, 14 miles at a stretch. Not once has it failed me in all those years!

I learned a few things today:
1. I used a gradiated measuring cup, and thinned the Rustoleum Safety Red 5%. That simply is too thick! I got an amazing amount of orange peel, and in this near-100 degree Georgia heat it almost dried instantly. Lesson learned.

2. Even at 20% for the second coat, the orange peel was horrendous. Lesson learned: don't do this in direct sunlight.

3. My house *used to* be in the country, but the developers built three near-million-dollars-each-house subdivisions nearby, and the snooty neighbors do no like to see a fat, middle-aged, shirtless man painting a car in his driveway!

Anyhoo, once this project is done I'm giving this car to my youngest son, who is helping with all the sanding to pay pennance for totalling it. Then we're doing my Dodge Ram (replacement for my beloved Nissan) and my race truck Ford Ranger (5.8/c-4), all in the same Safety Red.

Whoever came up with this process deserves a medal!