My truck was in despereate need of some new paint. The factory black was pretty worn and a collision on the passenger side needs repaired. I figure if this technique works for me then I can save some money over a Maaco job, learn something, and have some fun.

My dad was the one that told me about this process. "There's some guys on the web painting their cars with rollers." He was doing some research for painting his project Beetle and came across it. I laughed because I thought the idea was crazy. A little reading and some experimenting at home and now I believe it is legitimate.

I decided to try it out on the tailgate of my truck. It's small enough and can be removed so I figured it was perfect since I still have to drive my truck everyday to work.

I made a little quickie website to document the progress for my dad and some friends I told about my little project.

Link to my little quickie webpage

I'm taking time off from work tomorrow so I can do the rest of the truck. Wish me luck.

Here's a picture as of yesterday. I did finish polishing the rest of it after this photo but I wanted to show the difference between the polished (Porter-Cable 7424 with Poorboy's SSR2.5) and 1500 wetsanded surfaces. The portion of the tailgate in the lower left corner of the image (from the edge to the handle and F-150 logo). I'd say it looks good. My bodywork isn't awesome and there's still some scratches evident but I am more than pleased.