Quote:

the way I did it was to put it on thin and even, then roll over the top different directions with just the weight of the roller doing the work to make it perfectly uniform thickness. It smoothed it so good I never had to worry about it leveling. It also made the orange peel much finer.

The first coats I did bit thicker - I was experimenting a bit. But I ended up sanding most of what I applied to get it smooth again. Then I tried different mixtures and thats when I found 50/50, 6" rollers and thin coats smoothed the way I outlined worked perfect.

This paint method is basically foolproof. Once you have the needed thickness, what makes it look so smooth is the sanding. The polishing brings out the shine - but I'm sure everybody knew that already.. lol

My problem with ultra-thin coats is this:
In order to apply another layer you have to sand off the gloss right? Well when I sand off the gloss it seems as though all the paint I had just applied is gone. I see miniscule improvements after 2 coats and after sanding my blotchy(yet smooth) base coat of primer shows through again. Is it necessary that ALL the shine be gone to apply another layer? I guess I don't have this wet sanding thing down quite yet.