Quote:

A note on compressors:

This maybe stating the obvious, but make sure there is no moisture in the lines, you can imagine the havoc that would cause on fresh paint

I remember reading an article where the guy was warning to watch out for some compressors that actually blow oil out of them. I guess this is the oil that lubricates the piston walls of the compressor ?

I can't speak to much to that as I have never pulled a compressor apart... but I can imagine the havoc that a compressor spitting atomized oil particles could do to a paint job...

For an experiment... run your compressor full out and blast the 'air' at some white bristol board or something that would show water or oil getting spit out of the nozzle.

Water is a possibility... simply depending on the humidity in the environment when the air is being compressed in the piston.

If you have never tried this... put your hand over your mouth and blow as hard as you can - puffing up your cheeks like a chipmunk as you build pressure inside your mouth. Then take your hand off your mouth and gently blow the air in your mouth out. You should see what resembles cigarette smoke... a white wispy plum of condensed air.

Same thing applies with compressors that are used in a humid work environment and that don't have measures built into them to avoid the compression of moisture laiden air.

Nuff said... time to take my 'Mr. Science Class'
hat off...

Last edited by Marq; 06/11/07 08:26 PM.