Quote:

Thanks guys. If i do use brightside, and god forbid I am not able to level it out, I assume I'd have to go to the extent of sanding down my whole car down to metal.

I am pretty sure that 99.9% of the newbies can use the Brightside roll on primer and get a smooth surface within 2 coats and some wet sanding... If the difference in elevation between the metal surface and the highest point of the original paint is more extreme then the Brightside primer is capable of building up, then probabbly laying a layer of bondo is about the only way you might have leveled it up otherwise ( skimming a skin ). But even that method is fraught with problems for folks who don't have an experienced hand at doing it.......

Quote:

To do this, I was thinking of using a orbital sander with an 80 grit disk. Then once that is done (is 80 grit okay?) Now i know before I prime the metal has to be sanded but wouldnt it already be sanded with the 80 grit disk or do I need to sand again? And then I would prime, and then etc. A friend of mine showed me the idea as atelast 60% of my car is bare metal :/.

I would work with at least a 120 to 160 grit. Using an 80 grit is pretty agressive and will leave scratches that you are going to have to use an additional build up of primer to mask or level off. At least with the 120 to 160 grit the scratches will not be so deep.

IF you have gone so far as to remove all the paint off using the sanding, then you would be able to go to primer right on to the exposed metal.

Just remember to thoroughly wipe down the subsurface with a clean cloth dampened with mineral spirit - to clease the surface of any loose particles and to rid the surface of any potential contaminants...

Last edited by Marq; 04/28/08 10:43 AM.