Quote:

hi guys i done my corolla with brightside marine paint as you may have seen a few weeks back the paint had been on for about 2 months the other day i used some automotive paint on the car and had a serious reaction where it worked like paint stripper and the whole side of the car is fubar. i have fixed it all up and am now going to spraywith cheap export paint in pressure pack cans.

wayne watt

A lot of those 'touch up' or 'matching' type spray paints are lacquer based. That would tend to eat most enamels like Tremclad or even polyurathanes like Brightside. It is sort of like apply pure acetone on the paint ( sort of like nail polish remover ).

Then again, those touch up paints also react rather nastily against 'original' automotive paint jobs. I know that with one of my cars, there were some 'road chips' on the front of the hood. So I bought a 'matching' touch up paint ( I think it was called Duplicolor )... and I sprayed a bunch of it in to the cap of the spray can. I let it swish around a little to evaporate some of the 'carrier' and thicken up the paint. I then used a Q-Tip as a paint brush and dabbed a little of it in to the road chips to fill the hole and protect the metal that had be exposed. Within 1 minute the edges of the original paint around the chip hole began to pucker up and curl. The little drop of paint from the aerosol was actually eating away at the original paint.

So I guess the moral to the whole story is to stick with compatible type paints when touching up. And if you don't know for sure whether it is going to be compatible, well... do a little patch 'test' in some obscure and hidden spot on the area to be painted.