Quote:

Also, I'm still having problems with the paint beading off areas where the factory paint is exposed. I'm having this with the spray on as well as roll on Rustoleum. It goes on OK, but after a few seconds it beads up into tiny beads about two millimeters across. Very frustrating. It's almost as if the body of my truck has some kind of static charge that's repelling the paint. Any ideas? Is this happening to anyone else?

Any idea how 'virgin' that 'original' paint was ? For example, could it have been subjected to one of those acrylic quick shine type polishes in its lifetime ? Or could it have been subjected to one of the polishes that have teflon in it ?

What I am trying to figure is this : In 99% of the cases, a virgin paintjob should not be causing these kind of repellings. BUT I can imagine where some synthetic polish, teflon based polish or an acrylic type polish may have bonded with the old paint - and even with some sanding of that old paint... there is still enough of one of those potential repellants being able to give new paint a problem....

The only way I can describe this is to use a hair coloring story. Women love to change or supplement their hair color. BUT most of them are not aware that certain chemicals they may put on their hair can interfere when they go to do a hair coloring.

A lot of women like slapping stuff called HENNA on their hair. Basically henna is like a die colorant that simply sits on the outside of the hair shaft and gives off a color when viewed. BUT... if that same woman goes to her hair salon and wants to get her hair colored... the hair salon HAS TO strip off that henna coating or else the die colorant won't be able to penetrate the hair shaft and change its color.

In some cases the chemicals women slap on their hair penetrate the hair shaft. When the hair color die is applied... it may react nicely or adversely with that other chemical that is already resident in the hair shaft. You have heard of the famous hair job that turns green or orange.... or where the hair dries out and ends up looking like straw.

So the point of those stories is just to explain my train of thought on how some 'past' chemical applied to the old paint job... may be coming back to haunt you now with its repelling capability.

In a worse case scenario, if the surface sanding and wipe down with the mineral spirit dampened cloth has removed such artifacts, the only way to ensure proper adhesion may be to sand down to the original primer of the original paint. Hopefully by that point you would have eliminated any potential artifacts in the old paint that might be causing the repelling effect.