There is a hell of a lot of reading to do in these threads. Add to them the various web pages on this and there is a lot to take in.

I've started this process on my daily driver, 318... bmw (perhaps one day it'll get a warmed over 318 v8 then perhaps the badge won't be so misleading).

Anyhow I'm having some interesting issues with painting mine rustoleum gloss black, I definitely believe for sure now it is in fact the hardest color to do.

I'm getting weird rings/lines in my paint. Here is the latest coat on my hood after sanding some 2000 grit on the 8th coat.

Note: the parts that are really shining are still quite dark black.

It seems to be the coat(s) below, but I've also sanded those coats, perhaps not well enough? the process I followed was 320 grit to get the old paint ruffed up and the pealing clear coat off, then after 2nd coat it was 400 grit, then the 4th coat 400 grit, the 6th and 8th coats were 800 (couldn't get hold of any 600). My paint is pretty close to 50/50 and roughly the thickness of milk, may be a bit thinner. Painting in the Spring Southern California sun with little to no humidity.

Right now on coat 10 I've tried both 1000 and 2000 grit and if I get rid of some of the lines in one spot, another spot seems to "go through" and I have to go after that one. Not enough sanding, not enough dry time between coats (about 3 hours between coats, and a minimum of 6 hours for sanding)? The paint feels very dry when ever I sand or even paint, and I make sure the paint is smooth enough not to catch a finger nail or have any feel-able dips in the paint.

Thanks, and sorry if I'm asking something thats been answered, I tried reading as much of the threads as I possibly could.

Dustin

PS, here is a shot of the "completed" trunk with 6 coats on it, and 600 grit after every other coat and 2000 grit, rubbing compound and a polish. In red I outlined the same problem I'm having as above