WOW !

one month reading all of the posts in this huge thread. I am done reading !
Now let's get painting !

First of all have to thank Charger for passing all this good info and unique method to paint a car and save a ton of money.
and also thanks to all that have contributed in a great way, like Marq, Exit, Aussie, and all the Pioneers out there.

ok, here's my plan:

-5 Cars to paint...
-Paint One car at a time...
-apply (sprayed) 2-3 Coats of Rustoleum and then
-another final coat of Brightside (also sprayed) of the matching color.

I have tried the roller method and I see it does work great ... BUT it takes too long !

I have 5 Cars to paint and I need to go faster at it. so I have also experimented with a CHEAP (15 dlls) HVLP gun from Harbor Freight, mixed 10-15% Mineral spirits with Regular Rustoleum Gloss White (The 87 Mustang will be white). and that came out great!
I practiced spraying FIRST Royal Blue Rusto (The 86 Suburban will be Blue) on a couple of metal pieces from a Weight Lifting Rack/set that I am fixing, first I sprayed the Blue with a 45-50% MS solution, it came out too thin, creating runs. waited for a couple of days... wetsanded the blue down (and all the runs) and then I tried the Gloss white on a few pieces with the 10-15% MS mix... those I can see that came out awesome !
I'll do another coat and then let them dry, I won't even bother wetsanding those since they are just for a piece of furniture (weight lifting base).

I have already sanded down the top side of the suburban and some of the Mustang and the Legacy GT, but will do the Suburban first to test my spraying skills (First time at that too).

after the Suburban I will try and paint my Brother-in-laws 87 Astro Van, that is green and will probably paint it Hunter green. (I am going to let him do all of the sanding).

then after that I will paint the Black 99 Subaru Legacy GT, the top side is also peeling, I will paint it all Black, I am also going to paint the rims Black.

after that I will paint the 87 Mustang Gloss White... the Old 70 Chevy Nova that you see in one of the pictures will also get re-painted after I change the engine (I swapped a 396 Big Block in for the original 307, now I am going to do an LSx Swap into it.
(I love doing engine and interior swaps )

Ok, here is some info on me and my cars.
I've had a lot of Muscle Cars over the years, including a 68 Barracuda Fastback (I should have kept that one !), it had a 318, manual tranny and that thing was fast !

I've had tons of Mustangs, Camaros, Novas, Chevelles, etc. (at some point I had 3 Novas and 2 Camaros in front of my house).

Lately I've been on a Ford Kick (If you go to my website you'll see what I mean (Projects "Cobra4Me", "Double Displacement" and Project "SuperCobra" are all my Creations.

anyways, the main reason I got to read this whole thread was to save money on the PaintJob for my 87 Mustang, named "Project Double Displacement" (because it went from a 2.3 4 cyl. engine to a 8 Cyl. 4.6 GT engine), in fact, all of a 2003 Mustang GT drivetrain, interior, suspension, dash, etc. Made it into the 87.

anyways, I'll keep you guys posted on the progress of all these vehicles I plan on painting with Rustoleum and the last coat on Brightside.

Here are some images:

Here's the 87 Mustang, in the background you can see body parts from a 2003 Cobra and a 2003 Mustang GT that I used for my projects

Here's the original hood with a rolled coat of Gloss white, (again you can see the yunk Yard I have created in the background)

the first supplies, Now I have bought a Cheap HF HVLP gun and won't be using the rollers.

another shot of the Mustang, rear wing removed

I even sprayed the underside of the hood now.

Here you can see the Suburban, the Legacy GT and the 70 Nova.

this is my First Cobra that I built in 2000 (now Sold) Page for Project: "Cobra4Me"

Here's the Second Cobra that I am still building, (Currently waiting for the body to get paint at a Professional Painter), Page for Project "SuperCobra"

and here's Project "Double Displacement"
87 Mustang with a 2003 GT conversion
I have also today acquired a can of Penetrol and will follow directions given by Aussie for applying Brightside as the last coat.

BTW- There's a guy who is thinking on painting his Cobra Replica using the roller method !

Edit:
My website is at:
http://www.cobra4me.com