Quote:

Marq, I still remember the day you first posted pictures of your red (mustang?) I think you mentioned something about that you did not have to thin the paint and you only put 3-4 layers or something along those lines.

Well seeing how I have no choice but to paint outside (working on make-shift carport) and fighting a losing battle against mother nature it would seem that using brightside paint would make more sense. for the fact that I dont have to lay down so many layers, risking the chances of bugs, hair and other debris laying onto my paint.

Would you mind laying out some pros and cons on interlux brightside paint? in the meantime ill type in *gulp* brightside into search and see what i can come up with.

-thnx

Well... one of the main advantages of the Brightside paint is that it doesn't take as many coats of paint to get full coverage. There appears to be a higher concentration of paint pigments ( or solids ) in their product.

In theory... their product is designed to be painted straight on to boats from the can. Although they do sell a thinner to cut it a bit for situations where the paint is being done in hotter climates or to give the painter a little more working time with the paint. Mineral spirits worked equally well as a substitute for the 'official' Brightside thinner.

The rolling process is identical for the Brightside as the Tremclad/Rustoleum method. But it takes less coats on the overall project.

The main advantage that caught my attention about Brightside was that is is a polyurathane paint ( think plastic ), whereas Tremclad/Rustoleum is an enamel. Although both polyurathane and enamel are both used by professional paint shops for painting cars, the polyurathane is the one that would cost more to have done at a paint shop.

The main selling points of polyurathane over enamel is that it has UV protection built in, it has teflon anti-stick protection built in, it has been successfully used by 'home hobbyist boat painters using rollers' for years etc, and it is specificically designed and developed for use on boats which are exposed to constant extremes of temperature, water and sun.

Now... the one fly in the ointment is that bugs are just as likely to land and stick on wet Brightside paint as they are to land and stick on wet Rustoleum/Tremclad.

So you will end up using less coats of Brightside paint, BUT if the bugs keep flying and landing on it, then you may still end up having to do extra coats if you are forced to repair a bug infested paint job.

The only weak point with the suggestion about building a plastic tarp lean to, is that it will stop rain but not bugs ( unless it is fully enclosed ).

Is there a particular part of the season where you live when the bugs are not as plentiful ? I gotta figure that at various times during the year the number of flying bugs is not so punishing. Maybe you need to time your painting to that 'lull' in the flying bug season. Remember that Charger was able to paint his car in the extremes of winter ( mind you he did have a garage to protect his car from falling snow ).

My other though on this... is that maybe if there was some 'parking garage' near you that you could sneak to and slip a coat of paint on at. For example, where I live we have several universities and colleges with multi-level parking garages. If I was stuck in a situation like you are encountering, I would pop over to the local college parking lot and find a nice remote parking spot in their above ground parking. Slap a coat of paint on the car... wander off to the students bars or pubs or cafeteria ( or maybe even just to their library or bookstore ) and kill a few hours. Then come back to my car and hopefully it is dried enough to make the trip home . Its an environment where cash tight students wouldn't look twice at some bloke painting his car. In fact I think we even had a white Camaro in this message thread who use to paint his car in the outside parking lot at his nearby college...

Shopping center above ground garages are not necessarily as ideal, because they tend to have 'rent-a-cops' patrolling the parking garages looking for muggers or guys trying to break into shoppers cars.

Dunno... just a thought on how you might be able to get the car away from the bugs and fresh rain while the coat of paint cures...

Last edited by Marq; 02/24/08 10:27 AM.