Like many others I have been reading the posts for awhile and decided to finally give this a go.

The project is my 1986 Buick T-Type which has some surface rust and really crappy factory paint.

I started by completely dismantling the car and am now part way through using Aircraft Stripper to remove the crappy paint from the hood (done) roof, and trunk. I will be using it in a few other areas that need it but plan on keeping the decent paint as a base. I will feather out the stripped areas into the decent paint areas by sanding. Anyone forsee a problem with this method?

I tried sanding the original paint but 20 years of sun had hardened it to the point of being like diamond. 80 grit on a rotary sander hardly phased it.

I went and purchased some brightside Steel Gray and the Brightside primer. The car was originally a light silver from the factory.

I have a couple of questions for the experts

What sort of metal prep do I need to do before I apply the brightside primer? On the can it says to contact them for instructions on applying it to steel.
I was planning on sanding the surface of the metal to 220 grit and then applying a coat, then sanding that to 400 and applying another coat. This was the suggestion of a friend who is well versed in paint and body. Good idea?

Has anyone used Steel Gray Brightside yet? I'm really curious to see what it would look like on a car. I'm worried that it may just look like shiny primer. Anyone have picts?

and one more q, I have read that mineral spirits used to reduce brightside induces a haze... is that the only negative? I would like to save the 333 I purchased and reduce the primer with mineral spirits instead of the 333 the can recommends.

Thank you all for your help and awesome threads.