Quote:

Quote:

So, I am almost finished with my 62 Galaxie 500. I am down to the last or next to last coat. I know the conventional wisdom has been to wet sand the last coat with 1500 or 2000 grit paper and then buff and polish. I wonder if it makes sense to sand that last coat? I have such a nice gloss before wet sanding that it seems to me I should just let it cure and then polish?

Am I missing something?

If you are happy with the look of the final coat... then it is quite safe for you to hold off the compounding/polishing/waxing stage and let the paint cure for a while and just enjoy the look of the paint in its natural state.

If after a few months you want to dedicate some time to going to the final stage you will have to look at the state of the paint and make your decision on how to proceed...

IF the paint is still looking pretty glossy and sexy... then maybe you should just go to the compounding, then polishing and the waxing stage.

IF the paint is looking a bit rough and not giving a consistent shine or gloss... then go to a wetsanding using the 1500 and then the 2000 grit. Follow that up with the compounding/polishing and the waxing.

If you have a good quality random orbital polisher, then the final stage will not be so intimidating. And believe it or not with the right final handling of your paint job, you will be able to push an even better gloss or shine out of a straight unprocessed paint job.

If you are finish sanding with 2000 grit, what grade of polishing compound do you use?