Quote:

Quote:

good info Marq, gives me confidence that this will look sweet in the end.

BTW: Just curious, how does Brightside hold up to rust? For example if you painted on top some rust, would it seal the rust from spreading like POR15 or rustoleum?

I believe that the Brightside works well covering and sealing rust from getting oxygen and moisture. The key would be to remove any surface rust prior to painting. So that there isn't an intermediary surface between the paint and the actual metal surface. If you simply paint over the surface rust.. it may become the weakpoint where the paint could separate and flake off or crack and allow moisture and oxygen to enter through the paint crack and get access to the metal surface ( triggering the production of more rust ).

I imagine rust in two stages :

a ) surface rust stage... where the metal has been exposed to air and moisture.. rust forms on the surface. This is like the earliest stage of rust on exposed metals. In this situation you sand off the rust and the paint should have good adhesion to the pitted ( but clean ) surface. The polyurathane properties of the paint will displace any moisture and seal out oxygen and moisture from reaching the metal surface. No oxygen and no moisture equals an environment where rust cannot live.

b ) metal has turned to rock type stage... where the metal has lost its metalic traits. It's no longer a flexible / bendable metal. This is where the rust is like a rock or piece of shale and can be flaked off or broken like a thin stone. At this point it is better to cut this type of cancer out of the metal as it no longer has the properties of metal. At best.. paint would only serve to glue together the other surfaces.

Cool to hear. Brightside feels really hard so I guess it can seal rust.

What I had was some body rust. So I sanded down to metal, and bondo'ed the area. Hopefully it wont come back for 2-3 years.

BTW: Just did my 5th coat today and its now baking in the sun. My dad probably over-rolled some spots because some of them are not gloss black. It seems a little hazed, very different from the rest. He likes to over-roll sometimes. Thats fine because we still have a ways to go. We are gonna wetsand after tomorrow which will be the 3rd coat in a row. Hopefully we can get away with it. Orange peel isn't overly thick yet.