I bought the magazine that pointed to this forum thread and I couldn't help but join! Warning I don't have a Mopar! Feel free to tell me to leave. I have read a significant part of the three parts but some of the stuff is too advanced for a painting rooking like me!

Now for the long boring background part. I do have a question so I will pose it up front: Working with primer, can you wet sand the primer? The primer fills the sand paper very fast (the primer has dried for about 20 hours overnight outside in Calif high humid night), but I am afraid that the water will cause rust to start under the primer. Much that I have read from other sources say that you should go through all the steps (etching, primter, sealer, paint, clear). This discussion says that the Rustoleum goes over bare metal, does that mean that I will get good long term adhesion and rust protections if do the primer and then wet sand the primer? I am using the grep primer on most with the red rust primer (looks like the old red led that we used in the Navy) on the heavy surface rust where the paint is completely gone.-- back to background:

I have a 1972 Chevy pickup that I have owned for 16 years, a 1970 Jeepster (which in a round about way makes me a distant cousin) plus other non-interesting vehicles.

After reading the article it was like a calling. My truck has needed paint since I got it. About 10 years ago I got two estimates to paint it but they were very high. The second guy told me that since there was surface rust there was no hope. That led me to believe that spending all that money would be a waste.

Now this article. Not only could I paint it myself but it wouldn't cost me my retirement. So I have started. I am retired so I have the time. I recently got a real cheap shell that I am painting at the same time. The Rustoleum Hunter Green is almost the same color as my truck. I have some body work to do (a tree limb fell on the top, I backed into a guy and mother nature got to the bottom of the front fender on one side) but since most of the 35 years have been in southern California, it is wonderful shape.

I can post pictures at anytime if there is interest. I have some before pictures and I am starting a log of my learning. Thank you all for keeping all of these three parts, with out them I may not have had the courage to start.....
john.